By Feliz Ortega
Taos County Fair was held Aug.19-21, and our Questa Achievers 4-H Club did an outstanding job. Congratulations on their accomplishments at the Taos County Fair. Kingston Trujillo took 2nd place for his beautiful, stamped leather work.
Some of the Achievers showed poultry, rabbits and livestock; they raised and cared for their animals for five months – feeding, walking, bathing, and grooming them in preparation to be shown, judged, and sold at the auction.
Bradley Ortega showed both his Suffolk lambs, Tom and Jerry. J.T. Radcliff showed two Call Ducks named Artemis and Athena which were also shown at the state level winning first place. Jaylee Rael showed her Mini Lop Rabbit, Valentino. Candice Stroback showed her Black Jersey Woolly rabbit, Hot Pocket and won a buckle for showmanship. Adrianne Rael won Reserved Grand Champion and a buckle with her Mini Lop Rabbit, Lola Bunny. Mariana Ortega won buckles for both Reserved Grand Champion and Showmanship for her Hampshire Suffolk lamb, Timber. Diego Ortega won Grand Champion and a buckle with his Hampshire Suffolk Lamb, Smokey.
The following Questa Achievers 4-H members also entered in other categories winning First place in their designation and divisions and earning a spot at the New Mexico State Fair.
- JT Radcliff: Novice Creative Arts and Arts & Crafts 1007 Unit 1 – Macro Photo
- JT Radcliff: Novice Creative Arts and Arts & Crafts 1009 Unit 2 – Photo showing Good Composition
- JT Radcliff: Novice Creative Arts and Arts & Crafts 1010 Unit 2 – Action Photo
- JT Radcliff: Novice Horticulture & Agronomy 112 Produce basket (collection of produce grown by the member and list of vegetables included)
- JT Radcliff: Novice Horticulture & Agronomy 106 Floral Arrangement
- Mariana Ortega: Junior in Creative Arts and Arts & Crafts 1800 Self-determined advanced Arts exhibit including Self-Determined Project
- Mariana Ortega: Junior Home Economics 1302 Three (3) Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Candice Stroback: Junior Animal Science 26 Rabbit III: All Ears Exhibit
Chevron was a sponsor for the 2022 State Fair in Albuquerque. Community Affairs Advisor, Christian Isely gave free tickets to the Questa Achievers and their parents to attend the state fair. A good time was had by all!
Questa Achievers has 10 members this year. Members have met for fishing trips, hiking, orienteering, working with their animals, and more is yet to come! The new year will begin on Oct. 1. If you would like to join Questa Achievers 4-H Club, or have questions, please contact Denise Winslow-Lawrence at (575) 200-9947 or Feliz Ortega at (575) 770-1676.