Bear sightings have been reported across the Questa and Red River area via social media posts. Officials are asking residents to take extra steps to make their properties bear-proof. Some ways you can do this include:
• Locking dumpster or trash cans.
• Properly dispose of food in locked trash cans.
• Do not leave food in your vehicle overnight.
• Keep windows and doors closed and locked overnight.
• Close garage doors and lock vehicle doors.
• Lock livestock in gated, secured areas.
• Pick ripened fruit from fruit trees.
• Ask neighbors to join you in bear-proofing their property.
If a bear is causing havoc to you, your neighbors, or your wildlife, please contact New Mexico Game and Fish at (505) 476-8000.