A New Breakthrough for the Repurposing Plastic Project:
In early October, RPP had the bright idea when crushing our weekly load of plastic you’ve donated, to make 8-foot long modular wall sections. This has turned out to be far easier, less expensive, more practical, and much more streamlined than our previous process (which included re-bagging, baling into awkward shapes, and storing them inside for unknown future uses).
These pre-made modular walls are valuable, useful, and could actually sell! We may finally have a product that builders besides us would want to use. We want to find out how viable this idea could be. To that end, RPP will begin a 3-month test window, starting December 1. During this time, we intend to:
- Make 2 to 4 modular wall units per week during December, January, and February. These first 24 to 48 modular wall sections will be stored on-site over the winter to develop an inventory.
- Continue to collect data as we build, determining costs, labor, amount of plastic used, etc.
- Develop promotional materials and spec sheets, comparing our product to cinderblock and adobe walls.
- Develop design plans for enclosed patios, creative courtyards, pocket privacy walls, etc.
- Purchase a pneumatic hog ring gun and other tools to streamline our process.
- Partner with two to three builders to use our product in a variety of applications such as patio, privacy walls, developing demonstration projects, best practices, and proof of concept.
- Confirm an appropriate price point to sell the product to the public in spring 2022.
- How Can You Help? We’re Glad You Asked!
- We’d love you to:
- Advocate to town and county officials, asking them to help us collect, transport, and store plastic that is clean, uncapped, and smashable—we’re looking for community allies!
- Help us market and promote our modular walls to homeowners who want to build walls.
- Help us connect with builders and landscapers who want to use our product as they build for their clients.
- Get more people and businesses to sign up for RPP—we’re now eager for more members!
- Beyond your base membership, please donate to TiLT and RPP—we rely on contributions to keep providing this service to Taos County.
- To donate to RPP and TiLT to support this good work, go to taostilt.org
- To sign up as a member, sign up at repurposingplastictaos.com
- To collaborate at a deeper level, contact Todd Wynward, email@example.com; (575) 770-8681.
- Please print, post, and share!
Todd Wynward is the executive director of TiLT [Taos Initiative for Life Together] taostilt.org, (575) 770-8681,
and author of Rewilding the Way: Break Free to Follow An Untamed God.